What can consumers to do to mitigate their risk?
- Buy from local or smaller companies.
- Don't be afraid to try other brands - you might be pleasantly surprised!
- Don't be afraid to ask questions to the brand. You are the consumer and you have the right to know!
- Consider buying packaged versus bulk organic spices as this ensure better traceability in case of recall issues.
- Consider choosing brands that offer the shortest supply or most recent harvest.
- Use your spices everyday to avoid long term storage issues in your home.
What does Spice Sanctuary to do to mitigate this risk?
- Buy their products in smaller batches
- Ensure products meet all requisite screening parameters before and after buying them
- Ensure products are recent harvest to maximize freshness and minimize spoilage
- Ensure products are only packaged the once - rebranded or repackaged goods are exposed to multiple environments that may contribute to contaminants.
- Ensure spices are the best grades available - high volatile oils can act as inhibitors to bacterial micro-organisms